Museum Buildings

The Tweed Regional Museum, Tweed Heads, is located in Pioneer Park, West Tweed Heads. The complex is set in beautiful surroundings, with shady trees, picnic facilities and backing onto the peaceful waters of Terranora Inlet. Toilets and cold water are also provided in the park.

The old Tweed Heads Court House is the headquarters of the Tweed Heads Historical Society Inc, custodians of the former Tweed Maritime Museum. As well as housing the historical records of the Society, which are available for research, the building contains a fine collection of historical photographs depicting the early Tweed settlements, beach and country scenes, shipping, pioneer families and commerce.


Close by is the Old Soldiers Hall, opened in 1941, once the home of the Tweed Heads and Coolangatta RSL Sub branch. Regrettably this building is due for demolition in the near future. Artefacts important to Tweed maritime history that were previously held in the Hall are now retained by Tweed Regional Museum, Murwillumbah.

Boyd’s fishing shed, like all other buildings in the complex, has been relocated to Pioneer Park. In the case of Boyd’s shed, it has been reassembled overhanging the waters of Terranora Inlet, just as it did in its original location on Kennedy Drive, just to the west of the original Boyd’s Bay Bridge.

The building contains artefacts and memorabilia pertaining to the Boyd family, a well known Tweed Pioneer family, and to the Tweed River. This exhibit is currently being refurbished and will reopen to the public in 2016/17.

The final building is a refurbished deckhouse built in the 1870s. A deckhouse was a form of portable crew accommodation hoisted onto the decks of ships. This deckhouse had a varied career, being reused time and again on various vessels as the need arose, among them the drogher Murwillumbah. This deckhouse was used in later years as a storeroom at the Naval Cadets training establishment, TS Vampire, on Dry Dock Road. The deckhouse has been restored to closely resemble its original form.